Monday, January 10, 2011

Concert times - Joe Satriani

So last week I went to Joe Satriani's concert in Edmonton. I have never seen him live before. Last time he was in town, I didn't find out until after the concert (needless to say I was disappoint...very disappoint), so this time I was not going to miss out.

Joe with the band

Ticket prices weren't too bad for the venue, Jubliee Auditorium. Kinda cool seeing a rock concert in a hall that used to be home of the Edmonton symphony orchestra.

The opener was fellow Canadian, and also fellow parker player, Dave Martone. He's not the reason I picked up my Parker guitar, but it's cool to know someone as accomplished as him also using the same kinda gear!

His set was pretty awesome. Luckily I came across his music earlier this year, and got his latest cd off itunes; thus, was very familiar with the tunes. He was pretty amazing live!

As for Joe's set, it was surprisingly long (in a good way). He played for about 2 hours at least. Got my moneys worth, The only downside is I didn't familiarized myself with most of his new songs off the latest album, which is what he was mainly promoting.
Even so, it was still enjoyable. He played some older tunes as well, which I knew well. Loved his orange Ibanez JS...it just screams 'look at me'.

For the encore, he did a call/response chant with the crow which was pretty cool.

I was kinda disappointed I did not get to meet Joe or Dave, as they did not do a meet and greet. I guess it's sorta understandable, at such a large venue. But still...


Here are some links to video from the night:


Revelation


Premonition


clips from throughout the night

No comments:

Post a Comment